10 reasons why we don’t join our moves, but instead break them further into steps.
1. Easy to learn and teach for teachers and students alike.
2. Easy reference in our communication and discussion.
3. Be clear about all the steps; nothing is missed. Important especially in the transmission of the art.
4. Final position of each body part in any particular step can be determined and assessed. No excess, no deficit.
5. Allow for maximum stretch in each step before the next.
6. Constant reminder to maintain the Peng energy throughout.
7. Before each step, to decide which are the moving and “don’t move” body parts.
8. Before each step, checking on your facing. Knowing which direction is the next movement and which body part is leading.
9. To simplify the teaching by reducing the number of steps or to go in depth by adding more details.